Deputy Mayor 'Doubts' He Will Support Fireworks Next Year
Paying for this year's fireworks display with borough funds was approved unanimously by council
Ticket sale revenue from this year's Fourth of July fireworks display is still trickling in, but Deputy Mayor Ed Trawinski has already stated that he does not intend to support funding next year's display with taxpayer money.
"Next year I doubt that I will support [funding the fireworks] because John [Cosgrove] and Kurt [Peluso] said they were going to cover the cost," said Trawinski, who, in fact, volunteered Cosgrove to do the fireworks fundraising. "They did their best, and I applaud them for trying it, but I don't think we can afford to spend $30,000 anymore on fireworks."
As of Tuesday, the borough had recouped $18,594 of the $20,584.60 that it spent on the display itself, not including the $10,000 anticipated for employee overtime.
The $18,594 revenue figure includes money raised through tickets sold -- both at the gate and at participating businesses leading up to the fireworks -- and private sponsorships, which accounted for about $3,000. It does include ticket sales made at Daniella's Track Side Grille, which has yet to submit its sales data.
The cost to maintain the borough's annual fireworks display, which originally had been removed from the manager's budget this year, was reinstated after an accounting error discovered at one of the budget meetings freed up additional cash.
Once council members learned of the error, they quickly consented to fund the fireworks using the new-found funds.