Dog Rescued From 4th Street House Fire
A fire broke out around 7 p.m. Wednesday in the second floor kitchen of an empty 4th Street home
Fair Lawn firefighters extinguished a first-alarm fire that started just before 7 p.m. Wednesday in the empty second floor kitchen of a 4th Street home.
Chief Eric Reamy said no humans were inside the house when the fire broke out, but that firefighters brought to safety a dog trapped on the first floor and another dog that was being kept outside the house. Both animals belong to the homeowner who lives on the first floor of the home, Reamy said.
He said a tenant rents out the second floor, where the fire started.
Reamy said the fire, which was knocked down quickly, caused minimal damage to the home.
"The kitchen is destroyed," he said, "but the rest of the house just has moderate smoke damage."
The cause of the fire has yet to be determined, but Reamy said it was definitely accidental.
While the home is uninhabitable tonight, Reamy said the first floor residents should be able to return in a day or two, once all electrical wires have been checked out by PSE&G or an electrician.