Invite a friend
FAIR LAWN RECREATION COLUMBUS DAY POSTER AND ESSAY CONTEST
The Fair Lawn Holiday Celebrations Committee in cooperation with the Knights of Columbus, the Cosmos Club and the Fair Lawn Recreation Department announces the Columbus Day Poster and Essay Contest for all children grades K through 8.
1. Open to Fair Lawn students only.
2. One poster per child. One essay per child. You can enter both poster and essay contest.
3. Poster must be on oak tag paper. Contestants can use any creative materials (crayons, markers, paper cutouts, etc.).
4. The theme of the poster and essay must be related to Columbus Day and contain the following title: COLUMBUS DAY, OCTOBER 8, 2012.
5. Posters and essays must be submitted to the Fair Lawn Recreation Department located at 10-10 20th Street between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. by Wednesday, October 3. Contestants should write their name, address, phone number, school, and grade on the back of the poster and/or the last page of the essay. Essays must be printed and contain no more the 300 words. Essays should be placed in a sealed envelope with the contestant’s name and grade on the front. All posters and essays become the property of the Holiday Celebrations Committee, but may be claimed immediately by the contestants following the awards presentation.
6. Winners for each grade category will be announced at the Columbus Day program on Monday, October 8, 2012 at the Knight of Columbus, 16-16 Maple Avenue. Free entertainment and refreshments will be provided. All parents and contestants are invited. The program begins at 7:30 p.m. For further information, call the Fair Lawn Recreation Department at (201) 796-6746 between 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday.
More About Fair Lawn Community Center & Youth Center
The borough's community center offers a wide variety of adult, youth and cultural activities. Membership is free of charge for Fair Lawn residents. Adults can access the computer center and fitness center, and take part in aerobics, badminton, basketball, karate, table tennis and volleyball. Or, they can take it easy in the card room, which features card games, chess and checkers, and on the less strenuous walking track.
Youth sports encompass all the same activities as the adults', plus access to the teen center, teen lounge and youth center. The youth center includes a full-size video arcade, air hockey tables, billiards, and large TVs.
Organizations like the Russian Club and the Hurdy Gurdy Folk Music Club hold events at the community center, with drama and musical performances taking place in a 170-seat theater. The center is also available for rent for corporate events and seminars.
Other events here
- Painting From A Model Weekly on Thursdays, 9:30 am
- Fair Lawn Republican Club Meeting November 15, 2012 / December 20, 2012 / January 17, 2013 / February 21, 2013 / March 21, 2013 / April 18, 2013 / May 23, 2013 / June 20, 2013 / September 19, 2013 / October 17, 2013, 7:00 pm–9:00 pm
- Red Molly at Hurdy Gurdy Folk Music Club Sat, Jun 1, 8:00 pm
- "Strictly Ballroom" - Ballroom and Latin Dance Showcase Sat, Jun 8, 7:30 pm–9:00 pm