As the snow continues to fall throughout the region, officials in both Fair Lawn and Saddle Brook are asking residents to hunker down in their homes and stay off the potentially hazardous roads Friday night and Saturday.
A Winter Storm Warning and Blizzard Warning remain in effect until 1 p.m. Saturday, with the most powerful winds and heaviest snow predicted for Friday night into early Saturday morning. Forecasts call for as much as 14 inches of snow in total.
Fair Lawn, via phone alerts, email blasts and notices on its website, has urged residents, if possible, to move their vehicles from the street during the storm until the roads are plowed.
The borough's snow removal and street salting plan prioritizes the order in which streets are plowed and salted. First priority are county roads and emergency snow routes, then emergency service buildings, secondary roads and borough parking lots.
Parking is prohibited on any of the streets designated as emergency snow routes until those streets have been sufficiently plowed.
- Fair Lawn Emergency Snow Routes: 11th Street, 12th Street, 17th Street, Berdan Avenue, Berkshire Road, Fair Lawn Parkway, Heights Avenue, Henderson Boulevard, Hopper Avenue, Orchard Street, Phillip Street, Plaza Road, Prospect Street, Radburn Road, Rosalie Street, Sunnyside Drive
Both Fair Lawn and Saddle Brook residents are encouraged to clean off their cars, clear a path at street corners and crosswalks and shovel out any fire hydrants in front of or near their properties. Snow should not be blown or placed in the street.
Fair Lawn has yet to open its emergency operations center, but is prepared to do so immediately if weather conditions dictate, assistant borough manager Jim Van Kruiningen said. The EOC can be reached at (201)-794-5343.
Fair Lawn police plan to have an additional supervisor on the road from midnight Friday until midnight Saturday, or as long as conditions warrant it, Sgt. Richard Schultz said.
In the instance that a resident's power goes out, he should contact Public Service at 1-800-436-7734, not the police department.
Below is a list of canceled or altered services in Fair Lawn and Saddle Brook (this list will be updated as the storm progresses):
- The Community Center closed Friday at 4:30 p.m. and will open at noon on Saturday.
- Mini-bus service has been cancelled for Saturday.
- Overnight parking has been suspended
- Garbage pickup has been canceled for Saturday and will resume on Wednesday, Feb. 13.