The Fair Lawn Holiday Celebrations Committee in cooperation with the Knights of Columbus, the Cosmos Club and the Fair Lawn Recreation Department announces the Columbus Day Poster and Essay Contest for all children grades K through 8.
1. Open to Fair Lawn students only.
2. One poster per child. One essay per child. You can enter both poster and essay contest.
3. Poster must be on oak tag paper. Contestants can use any creative materials (crayons, markers, paper cutouts, etc.).
4. The theme of the poster and essay must be related to Columbus Day and contain the following title: COLUMBUS DAY, OCTOBER 8, 2012.
5. Posters and essays must be submitted to the Fair Lawn Recreation Department located at 10-10 20th Street between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. by Wednesday, October 3. Contestants should write their name, address, phone number, school, and grade on the back of the poster and/or the last page of the essay. Essays must be printed and contain no more the 300 words. Essays should be placed in a sealed envelope with the contestant’s name and grade on the front. All posters and essays become the property of the Holiday Celebrations Committee, but may be claimed immediately by the contestants following the awards presentation.
6. Winners for each grade category will be announced at the Columbus Day program on Monday, October 8, 2012 at the Knight of Columbus, 16-16 Maple Avenue. Free entertainment and refreshments will be provided. All parents and contestants are invited. The program begins at 7:30 p.m. For further information, call the Fair Lawn Recreation Department at (201) 796-6746 between 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday.