Tuesday, April 9, 2013
Fair Lawn firefighters responded to a kitchen fire on Garfield Place Tuesday afternoon.
A Garfield Place woman who left her kitchen with food cooking on the stove Tuesday afternoon returned to find the room in flames, Fair Lawn Fire Chief Jeff Greco said. Crews put out the intense blaze quickly before it spread to other areas of the house, but the kitchen is a total loss and the odor of smoke is pervasive, he said. The woman, who was home alone at the time, called 9-1-1 and self-evacuated her residence, Fire Marshal Jay Bender said. She was not injured. Although the woman and her husband would like to stay in the home, Greco said he'd urge her to find a place elsewhere for the time being. Crews from Saddle Brook, Elmwood Park and Glen Rock covered the rest of the town while Fair Lawn firefighters attended to the afternoon …
Sunday, March 31, 2013
A fire that started Friday in the basement of a Broadway building that houses a spa and adult medical day care center will keep the facility closed for a few months, its owner said.
The acrid smell of smoke from Friday's fire still hung in the air Saturday evening outside 24-20 Broadway, an imposing mixed-use building that once housed a ShopRite and now contains a spa and adult medical day care center. The smoky blaze, which firefighters fought for most of the afternoon and early evening Friday, caused extensive damage to the building's basement and first floor, Fire Chief Jeff Greco said. "This was a stubborn fire," he said. "It was in the walls and in the floor and it was difficult to get at. That's why it took a long time to actually put it out." The fire started in the basement ceiling and spread horizontally through the large voids between the basement ceiling and first floor that were left when the building was …
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
A closet fire in a High Street apartment building Wednesday caused major damage to two units and forced the evacuation of the building.
A fire that started in the closet of a second floor Eldorado Village apartment on High Street Wednesday morning destroyed two units and forced the evacuation of the building, Fair Lawn Deputy Fire Chief Kirk Wolthouse said. The apartment's two tenants, who were home when the blaze broke out, were unharmed, he said. One tenant was already outside when the fire department arrived. The other tenant -- who was still inside frantically gathering his belongings and medication when help arrived -- was escorted out by police and firefighters, Wolthouse said. The H building's nine apartments were all evacuated while firefighters fought the blaze, which started shortly before 8 a.m. The fire burned from the second floor closet up to the closet of a …
Wednesday, December 5, 2012
Fair Lawn Fire Chief Eric Reamy penned a memo to Fair Lawn's volunteer firefighters for their work during Superstorm Sandy.
- POLICE & FIRE
Wednesday, December 5, 2012
Fair Lawn's emergency service volunteers went above and beyond in their response to Superstorm Sandy (You can read an article about it, here). As a result, Fair Lawn Fire Chief Eric Reamy penned a memo commending his membership on their service: The storm that hit our area beginning on October 29 was unprecedented in size and severity. In the days after the first wire came down, the Fair Lawn Fire Department responded to over 100 emergency calls for service as well as countless non-emergency public assist calls and carbon monoxide alarms. We responded on mutual aid to several surrounding towns, and were a part of the first Bergen County Task Force to provide assistance to central New Jersey, specifically the Toms River Fire Department, …
Friday, November 30, 2012
A heat gun being used for shrinkwrapping products ignited a fire Thursday morning at P&R Packaging, located at 20-21 Wagaraw Road.
A packaging company and its workers were fortunate to escape mostly unscathed from a fire that started late Thursday morning at a work station in the company's Wagaraw Road warehouse. Fair Lawn Fire Chief Eric Reamy said the blaze broke out around 11 a.m. at a P&R Packaging repackaging station where a worker was shrinkwrapping products with a heat gun. Reamy said the heat gun ignited the workstation and nearby materials and products, prompting workers to battle it with extinguishers and buckets of water. The fire department only learned of the situation after the automatic sprinkler system triggered because no one at the company called 911, Reamy said. By the time engines arrived, the sprinkler had put out all but a few hot spots. The …
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
On Sept. 11, 2001, six members of Fair Lawn Volunteer Fire Department’s Company No. 2 were dispatched to New York City to provide aid.
For the first time, exactly 10 years later, all five living members of Company 2 gathered to share their memories.
- POLICE & FIRE
- Zak Koeske
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
This story first appeared on Sept. 11, 2011 It was the week of the annual New Jersey State Firemen’s Convention, Ex-Chief John Mamo remembers. He had taken the rest of the week off and was packing his car that morning for an early drive down to Wildwood when his wife ran outside to tell him the devastating news. A plane had flown into the World Trade Center. A short time later, as Mamo sat in shock watching the news unfold on television, the fire tones went off, a signal that all firefighters should report to the firehouse. It was the last time, Mamo said, that he would ever hear the tones the same way. Mike Kelly was the first to arrive at the station. “They’re sending us back to New York,’” Mamo remembers Kelly telling him, when he …
Monday, August 27, 2012
Fair Lawn's fire marshal said last week's house fire on Loretto Avenue resulted from a carelessly discarded cigarette.
A 17-year-old neighbor's carelessly discarded cigarette started last Tuesday's Loretto Avenue house fire that caused major damage to the rear of the building and displaced its two residents, fire marshal Jay Bender said Monday. Bender said the individual, whose name was not released because he is a juvenile, inadvertently ignited the blaze by flicking a cigarette butt into the trash area behind the home. "It wasn’t like he was aiming for it," said Bender, who hopes the incident will serve as a teachable lesson. "He just happened to throw it and it landed right there and ignited a whole bunch of combustible stuff." Police charged the teen, who lives nearby, with criminal mischief and failure to report or control a fire, Sgt. Richard Schultz…
Tuesday, August 21, 2012
A fire on Loretto Avenue Tuesday night caused significant damage to the rear of the structure and will displace its inhabitants indefinitely.
Two women living on separate sides of a center-split Loretto Avenue home will be displaced indefinitely after the rear of the house they were renting caught fire Tuesday night, causing damage to both apartments. “There’s enough damage that they’re going to be displaced for a while,” Battalion Fire Chief Kirk Wolthouse said. “The whole back wall is going to have to be ripped out and replaced.” Authorities on the scene said one of the renters was in the house watching television and unaware that the back of the house was on fire until a neighbor knocked on the front door to alert her. The other renter was at work and arrived on the scene about a half-hour later. Fire crews rushed to the scene of the working fire on the corner of Loretto and …
Friday, August 10, 2012
Authorities have yet to determine the cause of a fire that started Friday morning in the basement of a Boyd Street home.
A small fire caused minor damage to the basement of a Boyd Avenue home Friday morning. Authorities have yet to determine what sparked the blaze, but fire marshal Jay Bender said it is not suspicious. Two individuals -- a man and his girlfriend -- were in the house when the fire started. The man, who wished to be identified only as Rey, said after he spotted smoke and a small flame in the basement, he immediately evacuated the house and called the fire department. All four fire companies rushed to the scene just after 9 a.m. and had the fire under control within 15 minutes, Chief Eric Reamy said. The ambulance corps and rescue squad also responded. Reamy said the fire was confined to one room that contained mostly storage materials. "One …
Thursday, July 19, 2012
Police, fire and rescue responded to the call, which originally came in as a car fire.
A motorist's engine blew as he ascended the Route 208 North exit ramp at Fair Lawn Avenue East around 10 p.m. Wednesday, spilling antifreeze along the ramp, police dispatcher Joe Cecere said. With his car steaming, the driver was able to make it up the ramp and pull into the adjacent Erie overflow parking lot on Fair Lawn Avenue by the time help arrived, Cecere said. Police, fire and rescue responded to the call, and the exit ramp was closed for about 10 minutes while rescue workers applied Speedy Dry to absorb the spilled liquid. At the driver's request, his car was towed from the scene. -- Follow Fair Lawn Patch on Facebook and Twitter, and subscribe to receive our daily newsletter in your inbox each morning