Sunday, May 19, 2013
Fair Lawn Fire Chief Jeff Greco was uninjured in a minor motor vehicle accident Sunday on Morlot Avenue, police said.
Fair Lawn Fire Chief Jeff Greco was involved in a minor car accident Sunday while responding to a fire call on Elizabeth Street, police said. Greco had turned left onto Morlot Avenue from Mayfair Terrace in his chief's car just before 1 p.m. when a woman backing into her driveway on Morlot Avenue struck him as he passed by, Acting Lt. Joseph Dawicki said. The woman told police she did not see the fire chief's vehicle behind her as she backed into her driveway, Dawicki said. Neither the woman nor the chief suffered injuries in the crash, and while both cars sustained minor front-end damage, each could be driven from the scene, Greco said. The chief said he waited for police to arrive and did not make it to the fire call, which ended up …
Monday, December 10, 2012
Jeff Greco, a 32-year member of Fire Company 4, will take over for Chief Eric Reamy next year.
The membership of the Fair Lawn Volunteer Fire Department has spoken. Jeff Greco, a 32-year member of the department, will be its next chief. Greco, who hails from Company 4, will take over for current Chief Eric Reamy beginning Jan. 1. "He's a good guy and he's going to do a hell of a job," said Deputy Mayor John Cosgrove, a longtime Company 4 colleague of Greco's. "I'm proud of him." Greco, a self-described "low-key guy," said his major focus next year will be assuring the procurement of two new fire trucks and some new equipment for the department. Now 50, he joined Company 4 as an 18-year-old and has been there ever since, building quite the fire fighting family along the way. Jeff's wife, Diane, whose father was a Fair Lawn fire …
Sunday, June 17, 2012
The Fair Lawn Fire Department celebrated 100 years of volunteer service to the community Saturday with a day of music, food and entertainment for the entire family at Memorial Park.
The Fair Lawn Fire Department celebrated 100 years of volunteer service to the community at Memorial Park on Saturday. Hundreds attend the celebration, which ran from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. and included free food, drinks, kid rides, the sale of commemorative fire department apparel and the live local jam band, The Shots. Fair Lawn's Fire Department, founded in November 1911, has four companies and roughly 130 members who respond to some 800 fire calls annually. "It’s unique, it’s fun and it’s something good you’re doing for the town," said Company No. 4 member Tom Carney, a 30-year fire department veteran and ex-chief who helped organize Saturday's 100th anniversary event. Check the Patch on Monday for a history of the department and video …
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
The house suffered minor water and smoke damage
- POLICE & FIRE
- Zak Koeske
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
A small fire that broke out in a Van Duren Avenue home Wednesday likely was caused by a lit candle that had been left unattended, Fair Lawn Fire Chief Chris Hoitsma said. Hoitsma said the residents of 38-57 Van Duren Ave. were home when the fire started in a second-floor bedroom -- where a lit candle had been left on the dresser -- but all were able to escape the house unharmed. When firefighters arrived just after 4:30 p.m., they were greeted by thick black smoke pouring out of the second-floor window, as the family waited outside, Hoitsma said. After extinguishing the small fire and venting the smoke, the house was deemed safe to re-enter. As long as the residents can handle the smell, Hoitsma said they'll be able to spend the night in …
Tuesday, October 4, 2011
A brief power outage that set off borough hall's fire alarm disrupted Tuesday's council work session
A titillating council discussion of third-party ambulance billing was brought to an abrupt halt Tuesday night when Borough Hall briefly lost power, triggering the fire alarm and a speedy response from the Fair Lawn Fire Department. Council members and a handful of residents were meeting for a council work session in Room 201 when the room suddenly went black. The power outage was brief, but it set off the fire alarm which cued meeting-goers to evacuate down the steps and out of the building, where they were greeted by the pungent smell of electrical burning. Within minutes all four Fair Lawn fire companies had arrived on the scene, firefighters spilling out of their trucks to assess the situation. After the fire department conducted a …