Sunday, May 19, 2013
Fair Lawn Fire Chief Jeff Greco was uninjured in a minor motor vehicle accident Sunday on Morlot Avenue, police said.
Fair Lawn Fire Chief Jeff Greco was involved in a minor car accident Sunday while responding to a fire call on Elizabeth Street, police said. Greco had turned left onto Morlot Avenue from Mayfair Terrace in his chief's car just before 1 p.m. when a woman backing into her driveway on Morlot Avenue struck him as he passed by, Acting Lt. Joseph Dawicki said. The woman told police she did not see the fire chief's vehicle behind her as she backed into her driveway, Dawicki said. Neither the woman nor the chief suffered injuries in the crash, and while both cars sustained minor front-end damage, each could be driven from the scene, Greco said. The chief said he waited for police to arrive and did not make it to the fire call, which ended up …
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
The Fair Lawn Sunrise Rotary will honor volunteer fireman Jack Hoitsma, special education teacher Doreen Yates and Columbia Bank for their service to the borough at an awards ceremony on Friday.
The Fair Lawn Sunrise Rotary has selected two individuals and one institution to be the inaugural recipients of an award that honors local citizens who have gone above and beyond in their service to the Fair Lawn community. Jack Hoitsma, Doreen Yates and Columbia Bank will all receive the Rotary's new "Service above Self" award Friday at the Knights of Columbus Hall on Maple Avenue. Hoitsma, a 54-year member of the Fair Lawn Volunteer Fire Department, is its longest running fire chief and the father of ex-chief Chris Hoitsma. Yates, a Fair Lawn special education teacher, developed the district's acclaimed Bridges program for students with cognitive disabilities currently in place at Memorial Middle School and Fair Lawn High School. …
Thursday, April 25, 2013
Fair Lawn fire marshal Jay Bender advises residents and business owners never to leave candles unattended, following a small fire Monday at a Fair Lawn doctor's office.
- POLICE & FIRE
Thursday, April 25
A candle left unattended in a doctor's office at a Fair Lawn wellness center Monday caused a small fire that could have been prevented, fire marshal Jay Bender said. The office manager at the Tri-State Health and Wellness Medical Center, located at 31-00 Broadway, called to report the fire around 12:30 p.m., Bender said. He said an employee lit an aromatic candle in a treatment room where a patient was being treated with acupuncture and that both the employee and the patient left the room "only for a second." Upon returning, Bender said they found the candle had ignited nearby combustible material and filled the room with smoke. Although an employee was able to smother the fire and no one was hurt, Bender said he gave the employees a …
Tuesday, April 9, 2013
Fair Lawn firefighters responded to a kitchen fire on Garfield Place Tuesday afternoon.
A Garfield Place woman who left her kitchen with food cooking on the stove Tuesday afternoon returned to find the room in flames, Fair Lawn Fire Chief Jeff Greco said. Crews put out the intense blaze quickly before it spread to other areas of the house, but the kitchen is a total loss and the odor of smoke is pervasive, he said. The woman, who was home alone at the time, called 9-1-1 and self-evacuated her residence, Fire Marshal Jay Bender said. She was not injured. Although the woman and her husband would like to stay in the home, Greco said he'd urge her to find a place elsewhere for the time being. Crews from Saddle Brook, Elmwood Park and Glen Rock covered the rest of the town while Fair Lawn firefighters attended to the afternoon …
Monday, April 1, 2013
Fair Lawn Fire Co. 3 took the Easter Bunny around town Saturday to distribute treats to borough children.
Fair Lawn Fire Co. 3 escorted the Easter Bunny to various schools, parks and churches around town Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1:45 p.m., where he distributed goodies to children. -- Follow Fair Lawn-Saddle Brook Patch on Facebook and Twitter, and subscribe to receive our daily newsletter in your inbox each morning
Sunday, March 31, 2013
A fire that started Friday in the basement of a Broadway building that houses a spa and adult medical day care center will keep the facility closed for a few months, its owner said.
The acrid smell of smoke from Friday's fire still hung in the air Saturday evening outside 24-20 Broadway, an imposing mixed-use building that once housed a ShopRite and now contains a spa and adult medical day care center. The smoky blaze, which firefighters fought for most of the afternoon and early evening Friday, caused extensive damage to the building's basement and first floor, Fire Chief Jeff Greco said. "This was a stubborn fire," he said. "It was in the walls and in the floor and it was difficult to get at. That's why it took a long time to actually put it out." The fire started in the basement ceiling and spread horizontally through the large voids between the basement ceiling and first floor that were left when the building was …
Monday, March 18, 2013
A 74-year-old Fair Lawn woman and her dog had to be extricated from her vehicle Monday morning after the car toppled a utility pole on Fair Lawn Avenue and flipped over, police said.
A woman who lost control of her car on Fair Lawn Avenue Monday morning and struck a utility pole had to be extricated from her vehicle by emergency service volunteers, police said. Fair Lawn resident Frances Fleischer, 74, was driving her 2007 Nissan Altima westbound on Fair Lawn Avenue near Hedman Place around 11:30 a.m. when she swerved into a public service utility pole, Sgt. Richard Schultz said. He said the front right side of the vehicle impacted the pole, which caused the car to rotate and flip over on its right side, trapping the driver and her small lap dog inside. The rollover threw both the woman and her dog — neither of whom were restrained — to the passenger side of the vehicle, Schultz said. He said rescue squad workers used…
Friday, February 22, 2013
Fair Lawn's fire marshal has received a recent uptick in calls from business owners concerned about fire suppression system inspection companies who claim to be sent by the borough.
- POLICE & FIRE
Friday, February 22
Fair Lawn business owners should be on the lookout for fire suppression system companies and fire extinguisher inspection companies posing as conduits of the borough. Fire Marshal Jay Bender said he's seen a sharp increase in the number of companies fraudulently representing themselves as having been borough-sent to inspect equipment. "There's an awful lot of walking in the door -- either implying or out-and-out saying that they're from the fire marshal's office here to do a billable inspection," fireman and local business owner Jack Donohue told other business owners at Tuesday's Chamber of Commerce meeting. In some cases, companies will imply that if business owners don't hire them to inspect and update their fire suppression equipment, …
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
A closet fire in a High Street apartment building Wednesday caused major damage to two units and forced the evacuation of the building.
A fire that started in the closet of a second floor Eldorado Village apartment on High Street Wednesday morning destroyed two units and forced the evacuation of the building, Fair Lawn Deputy Fire Chief Kirk Wolthouse said. The apartment's two tenants, who were home when the blaze broke out, were unharmed, he said. One tenant was already outside when the fire department arrived. The other tenant -- who was still inside frantically gathering his belongings and medication when help arrived -- was escorted out by police and firefighters, Wolthouse said. The H building's nine apartments were all evacuated while firefighters fought the blaze, which started shortly before 8 a.m. The fire burned from the second floor closet up to the closet of a …
Monday, February 11, 2013
Support the Fair Lawn Volunteer Fire Company 4 this Valentine's Day by purchasing a rose.
Come out and support a vital local emergency service organization this Valentine's Day by snagging your sweetheart's roses from Fair Lawn Fire Company 4. Company 4 is holding its fifth annual Valentine's Day rose sale fundraiser Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with proceeds going into the Company 4 treasury. As a volunteer organization with a privately-owned firehouse to maintain, Fair Lawn Company 4 relies on the generosity of residents to support its fundraising efforts. Roses will be sold from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the Company 4 Firehouse (Radburn Road and High Street) on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on the front porch of the Dutch House on Wednesday and Thursday. Evening commuters will also be able to grab a…